how do i sit and wait to die??

• 2 replies
  • 53 subscribers

ive been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer, my oncologist was rather unhelpful, but made it plain ive only got a matter of months left, how on earth am i supposed to process that information. I lost my eldest daughter last August to Leukemia, and now im all my youngest daughter has left, and im going to be gone soon, dont get me wrong she's not a baby, but she has no other family, all either of us has done so far is cry, i mean cry alot, cry and cry some more, my oncologist discharged me today to pallative care, what is the normal reaction to being told you're dying? what am i supposed to do now apart from sit and wait???  whats the norm?? is there a norm? i really am struggling, i dont know the protocol. how/where can i get help for my daughter, she is very much like me and we keep pain to ourselves, im starting to see i need councelling of some kind, 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but so sorry to hear about your diagnoses, your daughter and the challenges you are now dealing with.

Navigating a cancer journey like this can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who are walked the ‘exact same' journey can help a lot.

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support.

The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Living with Incurable Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group please click on the link belowPoint down

Living with incurable cancer - incurable patients only

(Please join the group but for everyones safety this will then have to be approved by the Macmillan Community Team so will not happen immediately)

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello mumofamy and welcome, I am so sorry to hear about your eldest daughter, my condolences I am also terminal  with 3 grown up kids, and being told you are terminal shatters your world, leaves you in limbo and emotionally drained. Cry away, worked for me and helped me back on my feet so to speak. Firstly your oncologists prognosis is a guesstimate, i know many who are way past the time they were given and your palliative care team are there to make you as comfortable as possible to make the most of what time you have, they are affiliated to the hospice so their services should also be available to you and this includes counselling. mumofamy the hospice is not just somewhere you go to die, they offer many services and therapy's to provide physical and emotional support too, As Mike (Thehighlander) suggested, the living with incurable cancer forum, would help. The ladies and men on there are all going through the journey you have just started and will be able to support you like only we can. best wishes to you and your daughter, take care.

Eddie