Cancer of the Ampulla of Vater

• 1 reply
  • 51 subscribers

My name is NogBad, I am 79 years of age and I am new to this forum.  I have just been diagnosed with the above cancer which is apparently very rare as it is only contracted by 1 man in every 200,000 within their lifetime. Because it is so rare I am trying to make contact with anyone who also has this type of cancer and to better understand my treatment options? At the time of writing I still have another CT scan and blood test ahead of me and I have already turned down the offer of Whipple surgery as I am not sure I am fit enough to undertake it. Any alternative treatment suggestions would be most welcome? I know a little about chemotherapy and radiotherapy but have also recently come across immunotherapy and wondered if anyone has experience of this (maybe in addition to chemotherapy) as a possible line of treatment? Regards, NogBad.  

• Hi   and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can indeed help a lot.

I have a completely different rare (7 in a million) type of cancer so understand the challenges well

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms).

I had a search ( Mag ) through the Community using 'Ampulla of Vater' and found a few older posts in our dedicated Bile Duct cancer support group mentioning Ampulla of Vater.

This may be a good starting point in your search for others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link Point down

Bile duct cancer

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge