Is there a difference between Stage 4 and terminal cancer ?

• 4 replies
  • 52 subscribers

My husband has small cell carcinoma of unknown primary, a rare type and he’s probably the youngest (adult ) to have this (32). The doctor said they don’t use staging for this, as it’s only usually found in Stage 4- it has spread to multiple areas. But I’m reading on this forum that Stage 4 is not a death sentence. Please could someone explain if Stage 4 and Terminal are different or not ?

• Hi  this question most likely will moult get a clear cut answer…… as it is ever so different across cancer types.

I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with rare incurable Non Hodgkins Lymphoma (Blood Cancer) and eventually reached Stage 4 in late 2013….. but 2 years of treatment put me into remission and I remain on n remission to this day….. although my cancer is asleep and could return.

So in my case Stage 4 was not a death sentence….. and I have been told that I most likely will die ‘with’ my cancer not because of it.

But each cancer type can be ever so different.

I see you have been posting in our 

Lung Cancer

and

Carers only 

……. support groups. These groups are safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from family members who are navigating the same support journey.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section where you can ask more technical questions but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello Lalala123 I agree with Mike, stage 4 does not always mean terminal, it often means treatment will be aggressive, but to say which cancer and variant in combination with mets, age, health, fitness and co-morbidities are curable is beyond my understanding i'm sorry to say, I too am stage 4 with mets "spread" and though i am terminal, i am treatable and have many years left, best wishes.

Eddie

• Thank you, Good to know there are some success stories out there after stage 4. All the best to you 

• That really helps the doctor said it should be treatable, although incurable