New diagnosis and post op

• 3 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hello! I’m new here. I’m 38 years old and about 3 weeks ago was diagnosed with colon cancer, following a routine colonoscopy. My world was thrown upside down and 10 days ago I underwent an extended right hemicolectomy.

The first few days and weeks were surreal a whirlwind of understanding the news and thengetting ready for surgery and I feel like I’m only just beginning to process it. I don’t know where to start. On the one hand I know I should be grateful this was picked up and that the surgery was so quick and went so well, but I’m honestly feeling rubbish. I’m uncomfortably bloated and have violent episodes of diarrhoea 3 or 4 times a day. I’m also scared of what the histology may show in a few weeks time.

I’ve always suffered with quite acute health anxiety and being at home following the surgery has made this even worse. I’m panicking with every new pain or sensation and struggling to know if my symptoms are normal or to believe I will ever feel better or have a normal bowel movement again. The doctors have been really vague on what to eat (or not!) just saying to try anything?

I don’t know if anyone would be willing to reach out to share their experiences - either with the symptoms following an extended RHC, or getting support with the mental side.

• Hi   and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) .....but I do see that you have already joined our dedicated Bowel Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link Point down

Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

…… then once the group page opens you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. 

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike Blush - thank you so much for getting back to me.

I'll definitely head over to the Bowel cancer forum and seek out some bowel-specific advice there. I actually had a chat with one of the brilliant nurses yesterday, who helped me get some perspective and understand some of the sources of support.

Thank you again for saying hello and your warm welcome. 

Alastair (snowybear)

• Hi again Alastair  and I am pleased that you have found my post helpful.

I am so very pleased that the nurse helped you see through the mist….. this helps control the noise between the ears….. and pointed you in the direction of getting support…….

In our very stretched NHS this very important part of the service is slowly being eroded due to time pressures.

Navigating the cancer journey (I am coming up to 25 years with my incurable but treatable rare 7 in a million Lymphoma journey)….. can be a lonely place, even when you are surrounded by a great family and friends support network….. talking with people who have the ‘T’ shirt can be ever so helpful.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge