Frightening

• 9 replies
  • 51 subscribers

I was admitted to A&E on 19/04/24 with AF During the course of my stay I had a routine  chest X-ray. The doctor informed me that a mass had been discovered on both lungs and that he has preferred a full body scan which should be in weeks. I was in a state of shock and didn’t know what to say or ask. The AF was a new condition which was very scary and still getting my head around that and the medication side effects and what to do if this or that happens. But the fact that I walked out of there must likely having cancer has caused my so much fear & anxiety I just don’t know how to handle it. The parting words I remember the doctor saying was don’t worry !  How is that possible ? 

• Hi   and welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to hear about your ongoing diagnosis.

Navigating the cancer diagnosis can be such a stressful and challenging time. I have been on my incurable cancer journey for 24+ years…… I also have AF…… this was actually triggered by my cancer treatment 8+ years back so it is all challenging.

Getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' cancer type can help a lot but until you know exactly what this is it’s hard to direct you to the correct group….. mass in the lung could be Lung Cancer but I have Lymphoma and talk regularly with folks who have Lymphoma in their lungs…..

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)……. so once you have a clear diagnosis have a look through THIS LIST you will find all our dedicated cancer support groups listed.

These groups are safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from members who are navigating the exact same journey.

Have a look through the LIST above and once you find the support group for your cancer type....... click on the link and when the group page opens you will see a [ Black - Click to Join - Banner ] at the bottom of the page, click in this box and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [ + Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for your helpful reply 

• Until you 'actually’ know what this is a few pointers:

Stay away from mindless google searches…….. this will not help you in anyway…… it will actually ramp up your anxiety.

Checkout the links I have given you to look for opportunities/places where you can actually ‘talk’ with people who understand.

Call our helpline as they will be a great help in these early days.….…

This discussion thread is always open so if you want to chat or just ‘mind dump’ use this thread until you have clear information.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks again for replying I am you as advised staying away from goggle search as temping as it is. I use YouTube to listen to meditation to help me chill.,I am by nature an anxious person so meditation helps a little. I will ring the number you mention when I feel more in control of my emotions as I feel sure just saying what’s happening to me will open the floodgates of tears I have managed to keep at bay. 

• …… believe me when I say that our support team on our support line will listen until the cow’s come home…… tears or not….. give them a call…… I am a big strong Scotsman and I am not ashamed to say I have shed a few tears in the most embarrassing situations ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I now have an appointment for a full body scan on 7th May. After which my results will be discussed at an MDT meeting. So I guess I will then wait an appointment. I am really anxious difficulty in sleeping and lost my appetite which is ironic as up to been told I had a mass on my lung I was a member of Slimming World trying to lose weight !  I am trying very hard to carry on in my routine. Meeting friends as usual as yet I haven’t told anyone apart from my husband. I’m walking round like a zombie I feel so utterly unhappy. I’m 75 and still would like a few more years with my family. 

• Good to hear the route to diagnosis is progressing. The unknown is challenging but it reality there is nothing you can do to control or change this part…… you are a passenger at the moment….. the thing you are still in control of is the battle between the ears, have you called out helpline?…… this will help.

If you find yourself on a cancer journey your general health is important, your body needs fuel and fuel is food ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Yesterday I received a phone call from the hospital informing me of an appointment to see a thoracic surgeon on Thursday 9th at 9.30am so only having to wait one day after scan on Tuesday. I am pleased that I’m not having to wait long but also alarmed at the speed. I have took your advice and rang the advice line spoke to a very nice lady who updated my details and told me about other services available such as the nurses. Thank you so much for your support. I did have a bit better day yesterday and started to make myself eat dispute having no appetite. 

• Hi  good to hear that you found out helpline staff helpful…… and yes there are lots of services as and when you need them.

Good that you are eating…. this is where your body and mind will get the fuel….. the energy to keep going from.

Do come back once you have more information ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge