New

• 13 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

I have been diagnosed with Tonsil cancer and there's something on my kidney that they are just looking at to see if that's also cancer.

I got another call Friday evening saying they also want a scan of my lungs.

It's a very scary time and I'm very nervous of what's to come.

Wish there was local people to get together with but I haven't come across anything like that yet. 

Anyway I just wanted to say hi.

Good luck to everyone.

• Hi   and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)..... but I do see that you have already joined our dedicated Head and Neck Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link Point down

Head and neck cancer

…… then once the group page opens you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you, I have already. 

• Hi again  ....... looking at your posts the only other post you have replied to is an older discussion in the New to Community section.......... do go over to the Head and neck cancer support group and connect in with the folks in that area as they will most likely have walked the same treatment journey as yourself.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Jaxo, you’re not alone. I hope there’s nothing to worry about in your kidney and you’ll get better soon with the treatment! Is there any way for you to tell me about your symptoms and how did you realize your cancer? Because I’m having some symptoms for a while such as my left tonsil is swollen over a month and during the day left side of my neck is painful and it’s hard when i touch it. Sending you my best regards and wishes! Heart

• Hi Pearson,

Thank you.

I had a bad tooth and I just thought it was an infection  that was July last year, had 3 courses of antibiotics whilst waiting for dentist appointment.

Just before Xmas this year I had a pea size lump appear on my neck that just gradually got bigger, I went to dentist he removed the tooth but the lump never went had another dentist appointment and pointed the lump out and also the base of my tongue felt a bit numb. 

By that time my throat was sore, he referred me to the hospital and I went straight to my doctors. 

Had my first appointment in February. Its the waiting in-between that's hard. 

I was still convinced it was an infection, but obviously not.

If you have symptoms and feel it's not right, please go get it checked, don't wait,  there's a lot of time waiting in-between being diagnosed and treated. 

Best wishes.

• Sorry it corrected hour name I did put Xearion.

• Hi again Jaxo,

I’m worried about having HPV and my left tonsil is swollen for almost 2 months even though I used antibiotics didn’t work. And the problem is I live in the U.S.A as a student and I don’t have an insurance here. So I’m flying back to my home country to go to doctor this Monday. I hope it’s not something serious, if so not too late. I’m praying for all of us who deal with health problems. I believe we all will get better. Thank you for your reply! 

• Hi  

I am Dani and I hang out in the Head and Neck Cancer group. Do come and talk to us. I am five years clear now.

Hold onto the fact that most tonsil cancer is caused by Human Papilloma Virus which is uniquely sensitive to radiation and is curable.

The Chest CT is standard. While spread to the lungs is rare they have to look because it changes the treatment. I had two small nodules in my lungs but they are very common in old folk and are harmless.

Don't be afraid and don't Google.

Best wishes

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I'm sure you will be fine, stay positive but as I said, get it checked ASAP.

Good luck.

Best wishes.