How to keep husband positive after stage 4 colan cancer diagnosis?

• 1 reply
  • 53 subscribers

My husband has been diagnosed with stage 4 colan cancer.  He had virtually no symptoms so it has all been a massive shock.  He has just completed his second round of chemo and is now taking tablets for two weeks before the next round.  He is very depressed and angry about the situation and is taking his mood out on all around him.  I am trying my best to be positive, ensuring that he takes the medication at the right time etc but his constant mood swings are becoming very upsetting.  He does seem to be constantly ringing the cancer help line with different symptoms, all of which are a reaction to the chemo but he doesn’t appear to want to listen.  It is becoming difficult for me to keep watch on what symptoms do require attention and those that are the chemo working.  Feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all and reading so many positive comments wonder where I am going wrong?

Nanna W. This is my first post so hope it gets to where it is supposed to!!

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your husband has recently been diagnosed with cancer and I know what a shock it'll be both for him and the whole family.

The online community is divided into different support forums so I'm going to recommend that you join the bowel cancer forum, which is a great place to ask questions and share experiences with others who have a similar diagnosis to your husband and who will be undergoing similar treatment, and also the carers only forum where you can share your emotions and worries with others who have a loved one living with cancer.

To join, just click on the links I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your husband's diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"