83 year old Mums stomach cancer diagnosis

• 1 reply
  • 59 subscribers

Hi Everyone 

I am new to this.  My mum has recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer. She had a fitness test and cannot have the operation to remove some of the stomach... think its a small mass. She is waiting for her phone call tomorrow to see what treatment she will receive.  They have talked of chemo.  Mum is a shy person, worries and is very deep thinking.  She will be patient and just wait for the call and won't push.  She is really struggling, very quiet ( she says moody and angry) which is understandable.  Her husband cares for her he is also 83 and awaiting a hip operation.  I live close by and support as much as I can.  I can't get involved too much.  My Mum will just wait.   

From others experience I wonder if we need to push. She is unsure what he best things are to eat. I have researched but she is waiting a dietician. 

Mum also had a stroke seven years ago and if folk push her to exercise, she just hasn't got the energy.  She isn't in a wheel chair and can walk upstairs.

I want to support her as much as I can and advice is really appreciated.

Thankyou 

• Hello  A warm welcome to the Macmillan online Community, although I am so sorry to find you here.

The online Community is divided into various cancer specific forums or chat rooms and for mum I would suggest you join the 

Stomach cancer forum 

There you will meet up with Community members on the same or similar journey. To join this Community just click on the link I have provided and once the page opens up, click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page. You can then re-post or copy and paste your original post in the "New Here - Say Hello" section.

You may also want to join this forum

Carers only forum 

If you need any extra help and advice please feel free to contact our Support Line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week).

If I can do anything else for you please let me know.

Best wishes to you and mum - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.