My dads new diagnosis

• 6 replies
  • 60 subscribers

My dad has recently been diagnosed with metastatic stomach cancer which has spread to his lungs, liver and bones. On top of that he has a massive PE with RV thrombus. This has come as a huge shock as he has always been a very fit and well man and despite not being quite himself a couple of months previous we would never have imagined what we are now facing. I know how to deal with it all. We have been expecting the worst to happen but he’s been out of hospital for 3 weeks and looks so well that it’s hard to fathom he has all of this disease inside him. We have an appointment with his oncologist this week and just feel full of dread.

• Hello   A warm welcome to the Macmillan online Community - I am so sorry to find you here.

The Community is divided up into cancer specific chat rooms or forums, To connect with Community members on the same or similar journey to your dad may I suggest you join the Stomach cancer forum . To do this just click on the link I have provided and once the page opens up, click on "join2 on the black banner at the bottom of the page. You can then either repost or copy and paste your original post in the "New Here - Say Hello" section - you will receive plenty of help and support.

There is also our support line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week) if you wish to talk to someone for help and advice.

If I can do anything else for you please feel free to come back to me.

Best wishes - Brian

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you so much for your reply and advice and kind words!

• Hi, I feel the same.  My dad has been diagnosed with inoperable cancer and it's all happened so quickly.  He has his Oncology appointment on the 29th and I am fearing the news so much, I don't know what I'll do with myself.  My anxiety is off the scale and I just want to sleep as that's the only time my stomach settles.

• Hello   Another warm welcome to the Macmillan online Community - again I am so sorry to find you here. A cancer diagnosis can cause stress and anxiety - below is a link you may find useful regarding help and support

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/supporting-someone/emotional-support-for-family-and-friends/supporting-a-family-member-with-cancer

My dad has been diagnosed with inoperable cancer

If you let me know just what type of cancer dad has been diagnosed with I will be able to direct you to the Community page for that cancer. There you can find Community members on the same or similar pathway and you will get plenty of help and support. (I see you are already a member of the family and friends forum).

There is always our support line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week) and you can always give them a call for that little bit of extra help and advice.

If I can do anything else for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Thank you Brian, they have been vague about the type of cancer. It’s in a tube between his gallbladder and liver. 

• Hi   That sounds like the bile duct. I an very familiar with that one as a family member had cancer there and made a full recovery. It would be a great idea to join our bile duct cancer group - there you will "meet" other Community members on the same or similar journey as your dad. The link to this forum is here-

Bile duct cancer forum 

Just click on the link I have provided and once the page opens up click on join on the black banner at the bottom of the page. Once you have joined that Community you can introduce yourself in the "New Here - Say Hello" section.

I hope this helps - if I can do anything else for you please let me know.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge