Recently diagnosed with Gleason 9 prostate cancer and T4 cancer cells in lower spine

• 5 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi
I have just been fully diagnosed with Gleason Level 9 prostate cancer and T4 cancer which is affecting my lower back

I currently am receiving Prostap injections every 3 months and am awaiting a further meeting with the Urology department where I will receive further information about how my cancer will be medicated.
I have been informed by my Macmillan Cancer support worker that the cancer itself is not treatable but I will have medication to help the symptoms
Since receiving the prostap injection I no longer suffer back pain (which was the main reason I went for medical tests!)
I am 70 years old on a state pension and have worries about my finances

• Hello   A warm welcome to the online Community and am so sorry to find you here - but it's a great place for help and advice.

The online Community is divided up into various forums or chat rooms and my advice to you is to join the

Prostate cancer forum  

There you will meet up with Community members on the same or similar journey. To do this just click on the link I have provided and once the page opens up, click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page. Once you have joined the Community you can either repost or copy and paste your original post in the "New Here - Say Hello" section.

I am Brian - I too have Prostate Cancer and hang around on that Community so it will be nice to meet you again in our own part of the wider Macmillan Community

Any worries you have regarding finances can be put in a new post to our experts and again here's the link

Ask a Financial Guide 

It can take a day or two to receive a reply from the Financial Guide.

If I can do anything else for you please let me know - I look forward to "meeting" you again in our own Community

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Sammoda82 and a warm welcome from me, I see millibob (Brian) has given some great advice, The prostate cancer forum is great place for help, advice and support, Can I ask, you say you have been told your cancer is not treatable, could they have said not curable, i ask because I am T4 and Gleason 10 and I'm still treatable, Could i also suggest you see if you have a Maggies centre near you as they have benefit advisors you can talk to, you don't need an appointment, just pop in 9am to 5pm weekdays, search, www.maggie.org for your nearest one. take care.

Eddie

• Hi Eddie
    You are spot on! Not curable is the right wording
    Just getting used to writing about this
    :) Andrew

I am 70 years old and have recently been diagnosed with cancer

• Hi Eddie
    Sadly rural Dorset doesn't have Maggie centres!
    PS correct link is https://www.maggies.org/

take care

I am 70 years old and have recently been diagnosed with cancer

• Hi Andrew, I am relieved to hear you are still treatable There's a lot of us "not curable's" on the prostate cancer forum, always good to talk to others on a similar journey, PS i am on prostap as well every3 months for nearly 2 years now and just extended to Sept 2025 as long as it is still working, take care.

Eddie