Herceptin side effects

• 3 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hello

I am new to the group and was wondering if anyone else was currently having Herceptin injections for Her2 positive breast cancer and could tell me what side effects they have experienced? I am due to start mine soon alongside Docetaxel and just wanted an idea of what to expect. Thank you! 

• Hello   A warm welcome to the online Community - I am so sorry to find you here.

The Community is divided up into forums or chat rooms which are cancer specific and I would advise you to join the 

Breast cancer forum 

There you will connect up with Community members on the same or similar journey. To do this just click on the link I have provided and once the page opens up, click on "join" on the black banner at the foot of the page. You can then introduce yourself to the Community in the "New Here - Say Hello" section by either reposting or copying and pasting your post

You may also find this other forum to beneficial

Chemotherapy forum 

Again just click on the link I have provided.

I hope the above helps and if I can do anything else for you please let me know.

Kind Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello! 

I just started my first chemo round last week on Herceptin. It took exactly 7 days to feel like I had bounced back, and every day was different - but manageable. 

I only had nausea on the first evening but didn’t vomit. The anti-nausea medications are really effective. Be mindful of constipation however - I was backed up for 3 days but after that I was good (drink FyboGel). If you’re getting the injections to stimulate your white blood cell count, do it right before you go to bed. It makes you feel a bit stiff and achey. The muscle aches kicked in for me on day 4 and I cannot tell you what BLISS it was to get into a warm bath when that happened. Heaven. Also stretch out for 30 mins if you can, it makes a difference (and I hate yoga). 

Main symptoms are definitely fatigue, constipation and muscle aches. Eat lots of fibre and drink water. Rest as much as you can on those first few days. Have lots of nice little snacks in the fridge and get a heating pack. You’ll do fine!

• Thank you so much Amy, it’s so good to hear your experience of chemo with Herceptin. 
    I will be having Docetaxel with Herceptin injections and also the self injections for the white blood cells so your advice about when to do those is extremely useful..and the warm baths and stretches of course for when the aches kick in

I’ve had 3 cycles of EC chemo so far so I’ve got used to some of the wonderful side effects on offer from that chemo regime but I’ve heard this next regime is another level…but I’m ready for it and just want to get it done now. 

Thanks again Amy, your advice is invaluable and I really appreciate it. 
    Good luck with all your future treatments. xx