Dad just diagnosed with Gleason 9 Prostate Cancer

• 6 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi there,

I am a very worried daughter with a father that has just been diagnosed with Gleason 9 Prostate Cancer. 

I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on the below information, please excuse my ignorance. I have been trawling the internet for days and haven't been able to really eat or sleep with worry.

My dad is 73 years of age. Over the last few weeks we have gone from a raised PSA level 8.7 (up from 6 in 2022 and 2021, 5.1 in 2020), Negative DRE, to an MRI (PIRADS 5, SAG T2) to a positive biopsy (10 cores taken, 9 positive, overall score G9) and now we are scheduled for a PSMA PET Scan on Wednesday.

I understand that G9 is a very aggressive cancer and I am petrified of loosing my dad. I am sick with worry that we will find that the cancer has already spread after the PSMA PET scan and I am preparing myself to support my father through what comes next.

Can anyone shed any light on what the above could mean, what treatment options may be available to him? Is G9 curable or are we just looking at managing cancer long term.

Thank you and I apologise in advance if anything is unclear or has already been addressed in other threads.

• Hi MissM2024

I was diagnosed in 2021 with Gleeson9, in August 2021 had a radical prostatectomy with 14 lymph nodes removed. Histology was there was no cancer on the area removed so all was good. I was advised that the cancer could return and in August 2022 my psa started to rise. Got to January 2023 with a PSA of 0.07. Had a pet scan inFebruary 2021 and there were 3 areas that showed up. I was given an injection which I have every 3 months Apaltiamidewhich I take 4 pills every day, which I started last March. After 2 months my cancer was deemed undetectable at <0.01 so long may it continue. I dont know what your Dad is having next but all the very best.

• Sorry Apalutamide pills

• Hello   A warm welcome to the online Community - although I am so sorry to find you here.

I can fully understand your concern for dad and let me say at the outset I suffer from Prostate Cancer - am a Gleason 9 and am on a "Curative Pathway" - you can read my entire 27 month journey by clicking on my avatar - so all is not lost.

The online Community is divided up into cancer specific forums or chat rooms and for the best advice and to connect with people who are on the same or similar journey I would advise you to join the 

Prostate cancer forum 

To do this just click on the link I have provided and once the page opens up - click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page. You can then introduce yourself by posting or copying and pasting your original post in the "New Here -Say Hello" section.

If I can do anything else for you please let me know.

I look forward to "meeting" you again on the Prostate forum - we are a decent bunch there!!

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello  

Thank you for your reply this morning to  . If you read my post above to her you are more than welcome to come and join us all on the Prostate Community forum -  you can use the same link to join us.

You will find plenty of help and advice there and we are a very friendly lot!!

I look forward to meeting you again.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you so much for your response. We are awaiting the results of the PET test before charting the course for treatment. It sounds as though your journey has had a good outcome and gives me hope, thank you. I hope that you have continued good health! 

• Thank you Millibob, even just hearing there is a potential curative pathway for Gleason 9 is reassuring. We are just so scared that it may have already spread. I will also join the prostate cancer forum. Thank you so much for your help.