New to the group

• 4 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Good morning. I am new to the group. I was diagnosed with bowel cancer (a tumour in my rectum) in November and have been through radiotherapy and chemo. I am now preparing for surgery which scares me so much and deciding on a temporary or permanent stoma. I am finding it an incredibly difficult decision as returning to a new but active lifestyle is so important for me and my daughter. I would appreciate any advice on how life is after a temporary stoma in particular (after a rectum tumour) would be really appreciated. 

• Good Afternoon   A warm welcome to the online Community although I am so sorry to find you here.

The Community is divided up into cancer specific forums or chat rooms and I would suggest you join the:

Bowel (colon and rectal) cancer forum 

To do this, where you will connect with Community members on the same or similar journey, just click on the link I have provided. Once the page opens up just click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page. You can then introduce yourself in the "New Here" section by either reposting or copying and pasting your original post.

If I can do anything else for you please let me know,

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi  

In addition to Brian’s advice, I’d like to also recommend joining the Stoma Support forum. We have a particular subgroup there I will also link you to.

Stoma Support Group

Stoma Reversal and LARS

We have lots of different experiences in the group and you’ll be able to get lots of advice on all aspects of living with stomas, and experiences of reversals.

I have had my rectum removed and have an end colostomy so will never have a reversal, but hope I could reassure you that life can go on perfectly normally with either a temporary or permanent stoma.

Please feel free to ask any questions in the group, and we’ll be happy to help.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much Brian I will go onto the bowel forum. I am just finding my way around so I appreciate your advice. 

• Thank you so much for your advice Sarah I really appreciate it. I will join those support groups xx