Enucleation of right eye

• 1 reply
  • 37 subscribers

Hello eveybody

I am 62 and I just want to talk about my experience regarding the above.

It started in August 2023 when I had white flashing  lights in my right eye at night. My eye felt a little strange but there was no pain.

I went to  the opticians who explained that he thought I had a detached retina and advised me to visit A& E immediately which I did.

The doctor there took a look and confirmed that I had a tumour in my right eye.The diagnosis was Choroidal melanoma.   

I  then had to go to the Hallamshire Hospital where I was fitted with Tantalum markers and a month after that I was referred to Clatterbridge for Proton Beam Therapy.

After another visit to Hallamshire Hospital it was found that the sight in my right eye had got a lot worse and I had  developed Toxic tumour syndrome and secondary rubeotic glaucoma.

There was nothing else they could do for me and the only option was to have the eye removed, which has now been completed.

I accepted that I had no choice and am hoping that when I go back for my next check up they will hopefully advise me that the cancer has been removed.

I have an appointment in May to be fitted for a prosthetic eye and am just waiting for that day to come.

I have accepted what has happened and am hoping that I will still be able to drive, as  my left eye has perfect vision but that will be up to the DVLA.

I would like to know if anybody else has gone through the same procedure and how they felt.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

It sounds like you've been through a lot so I can understand you wanting to find others who have been on a similar path to you.

As the online community is divided into different support forums I'm going to recommend that you join the eye cancer forum which is a great place to ask questions, share experiences and get support from others who have had a similar diagnosis to you.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"