Scarded

• 2 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hello everyone thank you for letting me join 

I’m not sure what to write or even ask put I will do my best to tell my story 

I attend the doctors at the start of March as I had really bad swelling in my ankles and they were really painful at first the doctor said it was nothing and didn’t take it seriously but I said I wanted blood tests ( was mainly for diabetes as have a family history ) any way he agreed and sent me off for bloods 

later in the day I get a phone call asking me to sell do stool sample calprotien and Fit test Thinking

couple days later another call calprotien normal but blood tests abnormal ( low Hemaglobin and full blood count etc ) prescribed iron tablets 

then another phone call asking me to make an appointment my fit test was back and was abnormal ( 167 ) 

then last Tuesday I went to see my own doctor ( my own registered doctor ) there normal locums 

any way following an examination he tells me I have a distended belly.; shiftingdullness present.Ascites

I have no idea what any of this means ( I had mentioned that I had been having bad stomach pains lower pelvis with stabbing pain in both the left and right side and embarrassinfecal and urine ( incontinence kept this to myself previously as way to embraced to mention it Disappointed 

suddenly he’s telling me with the anemia high fit test ascities that’s strong possibility it’s bowel cancer and need to be referred for a 2WW referal hosptial ( referal done there and then ) checking the NHS app it still shows referal not even reviewed? 

im so worried now not knowing what to think or do ( not told any as don’t want to cause worry of don’t need too ) just hoping desperately some one can offer any advice here 

thank you for taking the time to read my post 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your ongoing concerns.

Navigating the diagnosis journey can be such a stressful and challenging time and yes the waiting and the uncertainty is hard….. you may want to check in with your GP as if you are in England the 2 week referral has been replaced with the new Faster Diagnosis Standard (FDS) of 28 days from referral to diagnosis

If you do end up on the cancer rollercoaster getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Bowel Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link Point down

Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page and putting

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so very much I will go and look at the forum you recommened