Lung cancer newly diagnosed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hi, My 76 year old Mum was diagnosed yesterday with Lung Cancer (had chest X ray then CT scan last week and she has a tumour in top right hand lung and also in lymph glands, not given details of size or stage).  She has always insisted that she wouldn't have any treatment if anything was found. The Consultant said if there was no treatment her life expectancy  would be months rather than years and he would refer her to Palliative Care. I think it has scared her and  she might consider some treatment. Mum is happy to have a PET scan to see if it has spread anywhere else but doesn't want Bronchoscopy with EBUS as too invasive. Just wondering if she doesn't have the Bronchoscopy with EBUS for the biopsy can she still be offered any treatment? Also, I can see some people have been told a stage without a biopsy, is that more of a guess of what stage it could be at? Just trying to get some info so I can support her as best I can. Thank you for reading.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis. 

A cancer diagnosis in the family can be such a challenging and stressful time but getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' cancer type or support challenges will help you a lot (I have a totally different type of incurable cancer)

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we try to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated……

Lung Cancer

…… support group. This group is a safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from family members who are navigating the same support journey.

As for the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your mum and indeed yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our……

Carers only 

Supporting someone with incurable cancer

……. support groups where you will connect with a wide range of members navigating the exact same support challenges.

To connect with a group click on the “Bold Italic Links” I have created above …… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page and putting

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

It is an emotional time supporting family so you might find this Macmillan information your feelings when someone has cancer helpful as well as this link getting help with your emotions.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thank you so much for your kind words and for the information. It is overwhelming at the moment and I hope I can feel better once the initial shock has passed. 

• Do connect in with the support routes I have highlighted as there is lots of support available for you ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hello Harley, i am new here and reading your post , i totally feel for you and your mum.  My sister aged 59 was in exactly same situation. I am unable to tell you confidently the stage without a biopsy , as my sister did not have a biopsy, sisiter was too weak and ill for anything , chemo or surgery.  And all the hospital could offer was pallitive care.  I am very emotional at moment and have been since beginning november last year with my sister,  I truely know deep inside how you are feeling and the waiting and question you ask yourself and ask hospital consultants and nurses.  I am going through a very bad dark time myself and i send my sincere caring thoughts and heart wishes to you and you mum.   If you would like another friend to chat with , maybe we could share and find a way out of the darkness.

God Bless .

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the community….. sorry to hear about your sister.

Please do have a look at the support routes that I have highlighted to  as there are lots of support out there for you.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Highlander for welcome.  This is hard  for me as it is for you all on the forum.  As i said i am that little more emotional and i and my mum had the worst last few days since Thursday 28th with my little sister. (59) Was a nice service but i don,t think i will ever ever feel the same again inside. I am here to sit with everyone, read, listen , chat and hopefully share together in hope of help just one member here and where ever other many people are give them a smile if only for a second.

• Hi again  I did not read between the lines enough to realise that your sister passed away…. ny sincere condolences.

We do have a dedicated Bereaved Family and Friends Support Group. this is a safe place to give and receive support. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• That,s ok please no need to apologise , i was trying not to mention it as i did not want to upset anyone on forum , maybe going thru same situation.

Thank you for your kind words.

Bless you.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Mc1964

Thank you for your reply and sending condolences for your loss. We managed to get the answers that we needed. Not sure why they wasn’t given at the appointment but at least we have them now. Just focusing on making each day count now. Take care. 

• Hello Harley , i am pleased you got the answers you needed. 

Thank you for your kindness and words , it means so much. 

Best wishes  , take care.