Weight loss years after radiotherapy for prostate cancer.

• 6 replies
  • 36 subscribers

7 years ago I had 20 sessions of radiotherapy for prostate cancer. 2 tumours.

I was 76kg before treatment, went up to 85kg with 18 months of Prostap & gradually lost weight until I am now a mere 66kg at 6ft tall.

Had numerous tests, nothing found. That said I really am glad I have survived that long.

Has anyone else had the same weight loss problem ?

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your ongoing challenges.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Prostate Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link Point down

Prostate cancer

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page and putting

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike many thanks for your reply & your advice.  Yes I do feel a bit lost as I am new to this site.

Kind Regards

• Hi  once you get into the rhythm of the community it’s straight forward…… you have done the first step as so can see you have successfully joined the Prostate cancer support group….. so the next thing is looking around the various posts (you can hit reply to any discussion thread)…… but do put up your own thread and introduce yourself to the group.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello  - Another warm welcome to the online Community.

I am Brian, I hang around on the Community, mainly on the Prostate Cancer forum - as I am still on Hormone Therapy.

As Mike says, just come across to our forum, introduce yourself in the "New Here - Say Hello" section and say a little about yourself - you will find us a decent bunch with a bit of a sense of humour. You will receive plenty of replies.

I look forward to "meeting" you their.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Brian

Many thanks for your reply.  Not really an expert on forums, a bit lost

I had 18 months of Prostap injections after 20 sessions of radiotherapy nearly 7 years ago, put on a lot of weight lost it all & more. 

Kind Regards

John

• Hi John

I know where you are with that one - here's how to get to us:

* Now you have joined our forum, on your home page you have a square block - Prostate Cancer Forum - just click on that square - it will take you there.

* On our forum you will see 3 headings - click on "New Here - Say Hello".

* Next + Create New Post - click on this in the top right and you should be able to start a thread - just say what you have said to me - and our Community members will respond.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.