Frightened of surgery

• 8 replies
  • 60 subscribers

Hi I was diagnosed with bowel cancer 2 weeks ago and have to have an operation in 7 weeks.  I have been putting on a brave face (I have only told immediate family) I know surgery is the best option but I have all kinds of scenarios going through my head, that I can’t seem to think straight. I am trying to distract myself by keeping busy so currently stripping the living room wallpaper so now I have to focus on getting the room decorated before I go to hospital but still I can’t stop my head from spinning, any advice on how to deal with all these thoughts and emotions would be greatly appreciated.                                      

• Hi .. surgery can be so scary, and I can imagine your head must be spinning. I’ve had several surgeries since my diagnosis, and each time I’ve been so well cared for and looked after.

I used to think right let’s get rid of this surgery will take it away . I’d get my bag packed and take everything I think would help .. v pillow nightdresses long phone charger my own throw .. just everything I could think that would comfort me . I think it’s good you are keeping busy as a distraction though. Try speaking to one of your nursing team and share how you are feeling .. also you should have a pre opp assessment and again share how you are feeling so they know how to best support you . 
    I wish you all the best and it will be ok Cherry blossom

• Thank you for your kind words I will definitely voice my fears at my pre op if I can but husband will be with me and I don’t want him to worry any more than he probably is atm hopefully be able to get a minute alone a team nurse.

I hadn’t even thought about possibly of more surgeries but will cross that bridge when and if it comes but knowing that there are people like you who have will give me a positive vibe to try and focus on.

Again thank you for taking time to respond and wish you well x

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Bowel Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link Point down

Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page and putting

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for information I will join group now and thank you for taking time out to reply.

• Hi so sorry to hear this iam going through lung cancer treatment I found keeping busy really helped sitting around just makes you think more I go the gym 4 times a week and I see a private Councillor every Friday this has helped me so much it's a safe place to say anything things you hide from friends and family my head was just so full of thoughts of cancer there was no room for anything else iam in such a strong mental place now really helped me

• I really hope you get to share how you are feeling when you get your pre op … my husband has always waited in the wait room as they take me for bloods / BP height weight  ecg etc ( different every time)

I totally get the mask. I find I put a big smile on my face, get my lipstick on . And tell my loved ones I’m ok and fine. It’s as if we feel we have to protect them. I still do it after nearly five years, but I do now open up to my husband .. everyone else gets the mask . And it was the best thing I did as he knew I was hiding .. 

also please remember not all have several surgeries… I just look, and try to get a positive outlook  at it.. that ive  been lucky ( daft I know) that my team have tried absolutely everything to to rid me of this disease 

have you a local Maggie’s centre .. they offer so much support you can just pop in , or make an appointment. Or chat on the phone . Always a warm welcome, loafs of support and advice in a safe environment They also offer support for your husband 

good luck Cherry blossom

• Sorry to hear what you are going through, I really think keeping busy is helping which is why I haven’t been on here lol I know I will probably be a wreck by time operation comes but until then I will take everyday as it comes x best wishes to you x

• Thank you i have never heard of Maggie’s but i am overwhelmed with just how much help and support there is out there. I love your positive attitude and I think that is way forward, pointless worrying about things I can do nothing about.