New here. 6 months on from diagnosis.

• 4 replies
  • 60 subscribers

Hello

It's taken a while to be able to post but here I am.

I have been diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer and finding it difficult to connect with others in my situation.

I'm still trying to navigate through my new normal. I felt fit and well at diagnosis but not now I'm on medication.

I still have unrealistic expectations of how 'normally' that I can carry on and end up getting very frustrated with my fatigue. My treatment is going well and disease is stable, so also lots of positives . x

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to try and direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is actually divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)…… I do see that you have already joined our dedicated Breast Cancer support group. This will be a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link Point down

Breast cancer

…… then once the group page opens you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page and putting

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Sea Shore, sorry to hear your diagnosis,  I too have metastatic breast cancer,  diagnosed in January after finding a lump the week before Christmas,  I'm really struggling with the constant fear of the unknown,  I hate the fact that they're saying it's not curable only treatable.   Physically I'm doing OK, I'm on nab paclitaxel weekly and pembrolizumab immunotherapy every 6 weeks so I should feel grateful for that but I just don't want to come to terms with not being able to have a normal life anymore,  hope you're doing OK xx

• Hi I also have stage 4 metastatic breast cancer, I had breast cancer 3 years ago.then in August 2023i got rushed in with gallstones. They did many tests. On 16th of August I got the devasting news that it had spread to my liver an hip blades.they said I needed a PET SCAN,so I went only to discover that it was in both legs,hips,liver,spine,ribs,chest an shoulders. I was floored to say the least.i had lost my sister to breast cancer metastases when she was 57.im 51 an they told me that it had spread as soon as I got my first diagnosis 3yrs ago. I have done 5mths of full chemotherapy an had another pet scan which was quite positive. Although I will never be cancer free my mets had reduced from 2000 to 200.so I asked if I could lower my dose of chemotherapy. They agreed an the first month was still good news.i have just had my ct scan with dye.i received a phone call from a oncologist I've never spoke to before who proceded to tell me matter of fact that I have significantly more lesions on my bones.i began to cry obviously to which he replied I see that's upset you? Wtf.i the received an appointment for tomorrow to see my oncologist an im so scared.ive had a week of pure he'll.and trying to get a hold of my cancer nurse is a joke.

• Hi Alliket, I'm so sorry you're having such a bad time and it certainly doesn't help when the oncologist is so matter of fact about everything,  it's your life they're talking about at the end of the day and it is like you're in their hands,  I don't find the breast care nurses helpful at all,  I don't know if they're overstretched or what it is but they seem to concentrate on the primary patients as opposed to the secondary who in my opinion need more support,  hoping and praying that they can get a new plan in place for you and I'm here if you need to chat xx