Books to explain cancer to a sen child

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

My ex husband currently having radiotherapy and not proactive at explaining properly what's happening to our teenage sen boy. Any publications out there that will help tell story in simplified way? Thank you

• Hi  and welcome to the Macmillan Community but so sorry to hear about your ex husbands diagnosis and the challanges you are having explaining what is going on with your Son

We have these info pages about Talking to Family & Friends about Cancer and Talking to Children and Teenagers about Cancer but these may not be what you are looking for........

Could I suggest that you call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 as this service provides cancer information and practical information.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

Please do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Try an organisation, online, called RipRap.  Riprap dot org dot uk.  It was developed by University of Sheffield for teenagers.  They might have a lead, or more resources that fit your situation.  It was given to me by the Macmillan helpline a couple of years ago but we never used it.