Stage 4 colon cancer

• 2 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi, 

For some reason I have been resistant to join these groups.

I had a stage 4 colon cancer diagnosis last October, with a 16cm Krukenberg tumour on my left ovary. After lots of delays, I had surgery for a full hysterectomy, removal of the tumour and a colon resection with 31 lymph nodes removed as well. 

I am currently halfway through a 8 cycle of capox chemotherapy and starting to really feel the cumulative effects. At the halfway point I am trying to think of my future and what it will look like, it would be good to hear from other people who have had a similar experience. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your journey.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Bowel Cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link Point down

Bowel (colon and rectum) cancer

…… then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

When you are ready you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Gray100, I've only just seen your post as I have actually been in hospital having a surgery and recovering but wanted to reply now and hope you get this okay! I was also diagnosed last October/ November (initially it was thought I had a recurrence of an ovarian borderline tumour but after a CT it was found to be bowel cancer with a Krukenberg on my ovary- I'd had my other ovary out some years before). I initially had 4 rounds of folfox chemo and my bowel primary and liver mets appeared to be responding but my ovary/ the krukenberg was not- it has doubled in size from about 5-6cm to 10-12 cm. I've had that taken out in March together with my bowel primary and I'm due to restart treatment next week after I've had an MRI at the weekend- it's to be confirmed if I have folfox again or folfoxiri or swap to the targeted therapy for Braf patients (I'm Braf). Then I will hopefully have my liver mets worked on. 

I was on slightly different drugs to you but I was starting to feel the cumalative effects too- also I think the platin is probably worse in cold weather isnt' it. 

I just try to do one thing at a time whilst trying to keep on top of anything new that might be good for me- krukenbergs don't seem to be get mentioned as much online do they. 

I am at a similar stage to you so I don't know if I can say too much about long term things but I try to do day by day whilst also trying to work towards things ahead I want to do.

I don't think this necessarily helps what you're asking but I thought it might be nice to meet someone in a similar position and hopefully we can keep in touch. 

I'm early 40s and based in London. 

Take Care, Kim