Post Prostatectomy reoccurrence

• 5 replies
  • 38 subscribers

I had a prostatectomy 7 years ago following cancer diagnosis. There had been no spread so no further treatment. PSA levels returned to normal. Over the last couple of years the levels have gradually increased to 0.1 last November, and following a blood test for something else in February, they had risen to 0.2. So GP had referred me back to hospital as it is a sign that cancer has returned. 

I'm having great difficulty getting a hospital appointment to start the process of scanning etc.  I tried ringing the booking dept to be told twice that they cannot get through to the clinic to make the appointment.  I was told someone will ring me,  but nothing yet. I know I must try to be patient, but it's a scary time and difficult to get it out of my mind. Not knowing what needs to be faced is just horrible.

• Hi   and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your ongoing challenges.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Prostate Cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link Point down

Prostate cancer

…… then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

When you are ready you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello   Another warm welcome to the online Community.

I see you have taken Mike's () 's advice and joined the Prostate Cancer community.

I am Brian - I hang about in that community and can confirm we are a great bunch!!  Although I have Prostate Cancer - I haven't had a prostatectomy BUT many of my good friends there have and if you come along and join us - introduce yourself in the "new to the group" section, not only will you get a warm welcome - but plenty of answers to your question.

I look forward to meeting you there - Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you Brian. Very much appreciated. 

• HiGpa53,

I understand that this is a scary time, I know it is easier said than done, but try not overthink it.

I am in a similar boat facing an increasing PSA level, albeit a lot sooner than you. I have had 4 consecutive rises in my PSA over the last year, this is after a Radical Prostatectomy, Salvage Radiation and 6 months Hormonal Therapy.

Nadir
    6-Mar-23 5-Sep-23 5-Dec-23 13-Feb-24 19-Mar-24
    0.009 0.086 0.14 0.190 0.230

I did a PSMA PET Scan on the 19th of March and discussed my results with my oncologist on the 26th of March. The PET Scan did not pick up any cancer hot spots, which is a good thing. My oncologist has recommended that we wait for my PSA to reach 0.4 or 0.5, once we get to that level another PSMA PET Scan will be done. Apparently at a PSA level of 0.2 the PSMA PET Scan my not pick up anything. My next appointment with oncologist is in 3 months time, hopefully my next PET Scan will be clear as well. Hope this helps, remember you are not alone. 

Focus on keeping positive and enjoy every day.

All of the best.

Munster

• Thanks Munster. At present I can't even get an appointment to see anyone! My GP surgery are brilliant though.  They've sent an urgent request for me to be seen at my local hospital where I had the surgery. In the meantime they have found another hospital not too far away that may see me in 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll find out by tomorrow which hospital I can go to. No appointment and not knowing is a horrible place to be, so thanks for your support. Much appreciated. 

Gpa53