Hello Newbie carer for a parent recently diagnosed

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi everyone 

Im not sure where to start, but i've joined hoping to find support and tips how to cope from you all with whats been a very overwhelming and quite isolating experience supporting my dad with his recent diagnosis of bladder cancer. 

Sadly it has been decided he isn't suitable for curative treatment and all that can be offered is pallative radio therapy but really im massively struggling with the idea of losing him or what to expect in the future. everything seems very vague despite asking lots of questions and its just left me and him both feeling very anxious about the future. 

We are a small family so its just been me and him really and i have found it has all really started to get to me and how real it is the thought of losing him. 

Neither of us know anyone thats had any form of cancer or this particular type so have no idea what to expect and just feel very worried

It has caused me alot of sleepless nights worrying

I hope you all can offer some understanding and guidance how to cope or can relate

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your dad has recently been diagnosed with bladder cancer and I can understand how upset you must be feeling right now.

As the online community is divided into different support forums I'm going to recommend that you join the bladder cancer forum, which is a great place to ask questions and share experiences with others who have a similar diagnosis to your dad, and also the supporting someone with incurable cancer forum where you can discuss your emotions as well as practical issues about palliative care with others who have a loved one living with cancer.

To join, just click on the links I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your dad's diagnosis and proposed treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Sending virtual ((hugs))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thankyou for your replie and guidance. I will join the links as you've said and add to my profile too

Thankyou so much