Hi from Invergordon, Highlands

• 3 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hey everyone

Diagnosed this week with Oropharyngeal!

Hoping to find people who are local to me as I have very few friends here and gratefully none with any cancer experience to talk to

Thanks

Guy

• Hi Guy  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot.

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) but I do see that you have put up a post in our dedicated Head and neck cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

I live in Inverness but have a completely different cancer…… I assume that you are being treated at Raigmore Hospital in Inverness……. You will find a safe place to meet others and get support at the local Maggie's Centre that is on the grounds if Raigmore Hospital……these folks are amazing and give amazing support.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike

Ive been to Maggie’s and they have been wonderful.

Do you have any advice specific to Raigmore at all?

Thanks again

• I have been a regular at Raigmore for over 24 years….. initially under  Dermatology, Oncology, Radiotherapy then Haematology (I have a rare skin Lymphoma). I am under Respiratory for my Asbestosis, I have been through Colorectal for investigations for bowel and prostrate cancer…… then the latest was a heart attack back in April 22 so used Cardiology rather extensively…… so I am a high end user at Raigmore and I can only hold them in high regard.

Parking continues to be a challenge  but you just have to leave sufficient time so you can wait for a space…… but if you are pushed go all the way to the far end of the site to Health Sciences and go in there, you will then need to pay £1 to get a token to get out (the machine is inside the front door)….. not sure about at evenings.

I have had 12 sets of DB&B for a total of about 65 nights and the care was amazing. Food is in the whole ok….. 

You may know but you can claim some travel expenses. Forbes from the Finance Office next to the Pharmacy…… you need your Consultant or senior member if staff to sign and clinic stamp the sheet..

Make sure you get a financial/benefits review done….. Maggie’s can do this or find the CAB/Macmillan support office (I am not sure where is us now)

You will be well looked after.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge