Support for my sister

• 1 reply
  • 37 subscribers

My sister who is 82, is struggling. She had breast cancer 5 yrs ago and was diagnosed with secondary lung cancer in January although she now admits she had symptoms and knew in her heart what it was last summer. There’s no treatment and palliative care was recommended. She’s been evaluated by the Hospice and gets a visit from the community nurse once a week. I live 300 miles away, so I have been spending a week with her then coming home for a week and back again. My husband is being investigated for heart failure. I know 70 is the new 60 but at 74 I’m 60 but I’m finding it a bit tiring. MacMillan have organised a blue badge and been very efficient applying for attendance allowance for her. But she needs more help and support but doesn’t know how to ask know what to ask for or indeed how to ask for it (pride).
I’m at my wits end. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

It sounds like you and your sister are going through a very difficult time at the moment but I'm glad you've reached out.

As the online community is divided into different support forums I'm going to recommend that you join the supporting someone with incurable cancer forum which is a great place to find out how others have gone about arranging help for a loved one living with cancer.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

((hugs))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"