Travel insurance issues

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

My wife has been diagnosed with Stage 0 oesophageal cancer, which we understand is not immediately a major concern.  It has been confirmed that it hasn't spread.  As a result of letting our insurance company know that she was having an investigation they suspended all of her pre-existing conditions until the diagnosis was confirmed.  Next week, she will have a procedure to excise an area that should leave her cancer free and under continuous surveillance thereafter.

Assuming she is clear, how does this affect her insurance?  Will Stage 0 be looked upon more favourably or not?  If we have to change providers, is it best to ring rather than use online quotes?  What else should we be aware of?

I am also under investigation for some (non-cancer) ailments but they haven't been diagnosed / confirmed.  How does this affect my insurance, which is also suspended for all pre-existing conditions?

Thanks for any help and comments that follow.

• Hi  and welcome to the Community.

I personally don’t have any first hand experience to answer your question but let see if anyone is looking in can help.

I had to be 2 years in remission and not on any cancer related treatment for my type of incurable blood cancer before I could get any price but these decisions are often all down to cancer types, treatment, prognosis and the resulting risk factor put on by the insurers risk assessment - I am very open to serious infections due to a reduced immune system so this is seen as a high risk factor 

Comparison sites tend to use the same algorithms so getting a clear price can be difficult and it’s not that unusual to be turned down or told to call the insurers. 

It is actually more effective to call a few insurers directly as this means that you have answered all the questions correctly and in doing this a suitable policy can be offered and price given.

You may want to join and put up the same post in our dedicated Travel insurance group as it's where the majority of discussions can be found.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge