My husband has prostrate/bone cancer

• 3 replies
  • 39 subscribers

hello, I do not have cancer now, but my husband was diagnosed with prostrate cancer last September, he is having hormone therapy , and the cancer has gone into his bones. At first, we had great response and treatment  and the injections really helped him, he was more like his old self again. Just over two weeks ago, his mouth started bleeding and my son took him to the hospital they said they think it’s a dental problem and sent him off-for some mouthwash, it was too strong for him and he reacted to it, having cold sores all around his mouth, obviously he was afraid to eat. I rang 111, our sugery, the local hospice and here, for advice, pulling my hair out , why was his mouth bleeding, is it a dentist prob or is it the cancer gone to facial bones and then the gums? I rang the nurse that is his nurse when he was diagnosed with prostrate, she couldn’t help as it wasn’t a prostrate problem, passed me onto oncology who said they couldn’t help as he wasn’t their patient. Today I saw a complimentary therapy person and she gave me a helpline to ring, they were very understanding, but, couldn’t help . She said there is a fairly local dentist who charges £100 consultation if we could get in there, but another friend told me her sons m.I.l got cancer and just had 5teeth out in the hospital as a cancer patient, but my husband is not considered a cancer patient as he has got prostrate /bone cancer and having hormone treatmen. I don’t understand !

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your husband is having problems getting dental treatment and it sounds like a horrible position to be in.

As the online community is divided into different support forums I'm going to recommend that you join the prostate cancer forum as you'll then connect directly with others who may have had a similar issue to your husband and who can tell you what they did.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your husband's diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I live near Bristol and the dental school there will sometimes see patients with special medical reasons to need dentist for free. Wherever you live there might be a dental school at a university that might possibly do the same.

• Hello  

Another warm welcome from me to the online Community. I hang around in the Prostate Cancer Community and as my good friend  has said - the place to be for help and advice is the Prostate Community - please feel free to join our group and we are a great bunch and there's plenty of help available there.

As for the dentist - your husband should be on the National Cancer register and therefore a cancer patient. As he's under the hospital I would contact their PALS (Patient Advisory and Liaison Service) department - and ask them if they can sort your dental issue out or point you in the right direction for the help you need.

If I can do anything else for you please let me know - I look forward to "meeting" you again on the prostate forum.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.