Bupa or nhs

• 2 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Advice I’ve had is to stick with the nhs even though I have bupa cover. Anyone know why? Anyone have experience of this? Not sure what the reasons are. 

• Hi  I think that there are some things that going private with the likes of BUPA is good for but Lymphoma and private don't tend to go together well……. I think it may well be to do with the time it takes to get a clear diagnosis, the amount of tests like biopsies scans and basically they are not set up for Lymphoma treatment Rolling eyes

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Doris

Private care is extremely good for initial diagnosis particularly at this time when the NHS is under pressure but because the private sector cherry picks the "easiest" treatments it's not really geared up for cancer care. Exceptions, I guess are major cancer centres like the Marsden which have private wings. You really have to explore exactly what would be covered. 

At the start of my road I did arrange a private ENT consultation as the NHS was lacking but my NHS appointment came up the same day and I stuck with it. I must say my treatment has been exemplary

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge