No taste buds

• 3 replies
  • 38 subscribers

I'm currently in week 5 of a 7week radiation a day chemo treatment program for Stage 2 Oropharyngeal cancer. I've lost my taste buds and am struggling to eat.

Welcome feedback from others with suggestions as to what I can try eating. I'm drinking Boost, smoothies, and soups but solid food is difficult.

Thank you 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses and your ongoing taste buds challenges.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot…..  especially when it comes to your specific type of cancer as this problem goes hand in hand with this specific type of treatment . (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Head and Neck Cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this linkPoint down

Head and neck cancer

…… then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

When you are ready you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi KGD and welcome i make smoothies with fortified or almond milk adding fruit, veg, honey, or ice cream when swallowing is a little difficult, take care.

Eddie

• Hi  

Pop along to the Head and Neck Cancer group as Mike has suggested. 
    I’m Dani and I’ve just reached my five years clear. I had six weeks RT for stage 2 tongue cancer so I sympathise. 
    Have you  been given Ensures or Fortisips? These are meal replacement drinks that take the guesswork out of making your own “food” 

If you are dead set against that then the internet has plenty of recipes for high calorie high protein smoothies  

Have  you been given mouth preps to help? I had Difflam which is anaesthetic and is useful fifteen minutes or so before eating or you can try soluble aspirin, spitting it out after swishing round your mouth  

I must say that by week five I was in so much pain I gave up trying to “eat” and fed entirely by stomach tube. It saved my life and gave me more to my day than trying to get nutrition in. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge