Support for grandmother

• 2 replies
  • 58 subscribers
  • Hello, I'm new to this group. My grandmother was diagnosed with vaginal cancer Oct 2023, she had radiotherapy to try and shrink the tumour but this was given as a measure to control symptoms. She was given months to short years. My Gran is 85 and also has heart failure. The doctor has given us a just in case medicine box and advised this is for when the time comes. I'm confused as to when she may need support from hospice, she currently has social service provided carers come in twice a day but no nurses visit or even call her, she's confused at times and I feel a little out of my depth. I suppose I'm asking if anyone can point me in the direction of what I need to do to find the right support. I fought with social care to get her the carers she has and they took away her lunch time visit as they don't think she needs it. It's just me supporting her and I work full time and have a child to care for. Any help appreciate. Thanks
  • Hi  and welcome to the Macmillan Community but so sorry to hear about your grandmothers diagnosis.

A cancer diagnosis like this in the family can be such a challenging and stressful time but getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' support challenges can help a lot.

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) and when it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your grandmother and indeed yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our…… 

Carers only 

Supporting someone with incurable cancer

…… support groups where you will connect with others navigating the exact same support challenges.

To connect with a group click on the “Bold Italic Links” I have created above then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

You can then put up your own post when you’re ready by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Please do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge