Melanoma patient

• 5 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi, just joined the community. I was diagnosed with melanoma in July 2023. A large mole in my right lower abdomen had turned cancerous. I had this removed in August followed by a wide excision and sentinel node biopsy. The cancer had spread to the nodes. Unfortunately, I had a large hematoma after the wide excision and had more surgery (flush). This delayed me going on to targeted therapy.

I was going to be starting on dabrafenib and trametinib in March of this year. At the beginning of February I noticed several small moles appear along my scar. The melanoma had spread from the original site (recurrent melanoma). My treatment has been brought forward and I started on dabrafenib and trametinib last Wednesday (14th). The latest CT scan shows no cancer anywhere else in my body.

I was supposed to be on adjuvant therapy for one year, but I will now be on dabrafenib and trametinib for as long as it works or any side effects become unbearable.

I have a positive attitude and with the help of my consultant and supporting staff we will beat this cancer. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)…… but I do see that you have already joined our dedicated Melanoma support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link>

Melanoma

…… then once the group page opens click on you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi I was diagnosed with melanoma on the foot in 20/22 had surgery sentinel node biopsy and skin graft all at same time after I was discharged from hospital told everything went well been going for the regular 6 monthly checks only to be told 22/4/24 that my node results had been overlooked as cancer was found to be there  but not to worry they removed the nodes so in the 2 years I’ve had no further checks on this only now to be told there’s a PETMRI scan being arranged not sure what to think any advice

• Hi  and I see it’s your first post so welcome.

Do have a look at the various support routes that I have highlighted in the community but also outwith the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Yes I’m new to the group I’m feeling confused at the moment with the recent diagnosis not sure what to think it’s took them 2 years to say my results were overlooked

• Sorry to hear this….. I have been on my incurable Lymphoma journey for over 24 years having significant treatments over the years……  14 years in a sr ind more aggressive type of Lymphoma appeared….. but I found ‘talking’ with people on here but also in-person helped a lot…. so do use the support services available.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge