New diagnosis - scared

• 5 replies
  • 38 subscribers

I was told yesterday that I have breast cancer. I'm having an MRI and CT scan on Tuesday to see if it has spread and I will receive the full diagnosis on Friday. I am terrified it has gone beyond stage 1 and have been awake all night thinking the worst. Any advice on how to get through the next few days would be appreciated. I cannot bear the thought of telling my school-age children.

• Morning, and i bet you are a little better now you are up and about,  as i for one know the nights are the worse for out over active brains. Your team are doing really well getting those scans done so quickly and a full diagnosis by Friday is fantastic, you obviously dont live in the Midlands our waiting list for scan can be weeks so well done them. Everyone on here will have been in your position and expecting the worse is what we all do best. Its just what people do but its not always the way but normal to do so. You ask for any advice for the next few days. I wish i had the answer. I kept myself as busy as i could, and my house was very clean during this period haha. When you have seen the team who are in charge of your treatment ypu will feel much better its just all the waiting that makes us anxious.  I have spoken to many on here as to when is the right time to tell our children it depends on their ages really. I told my 12 year old  when i knew what i was up against and i knew the treatment plan so i could answer his questions. My friends kids were much younger so she only mentioned it when they did, like when her hair fell out she would just say it medicine mom has to take to get well. You know your kids the best and you will find the right time, there arer bookletts out there helping parents to do just this. All the best with your treatment Dawn x

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your BC diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Breast Cancer support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link> 

Breast cancer 

........then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

When you are ready you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community ((Hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Dear Dawn

Thank you for your kind response. It's absolutely true that my brain is more over active at night! I cannot help but fear the worst, and as other people have said, every ache, pain and twinge I have now makes me think it has spread. I can manage it better through the day, and as everyone says, it's the not knowing. I'm definitely in shock and absolutely dreading Friday. I hope you are doing okay on your journey. Thank again, Mandy xx

• Thank you for your message Mike. I did call the Macmillan line on Saturday when I was struggling and both people I spoke with were lovely. The nurse was able to turn the volume right down on my anxiety and I have a call with a counsellor today. Thanks again, Mandy

• Hi Mandy  good to hear that you found the support line helpful and that you are getting further help…… you don’t need to navigate this journey by yourself…… there are lots of opportunities to get help and support……. as I have noted on my first post to you.

I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a very rare, incurable but treatable blood cancer, reaching stage 4 in late 2023…… but I am still here living a great life…. It is very important to take control if the space between your ears….. this is one of the main things you have to do…… the rest is your clinical teams job ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge