First Post

• 7 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi everyone,

A little apprehensive about posting. Not sure if anyone has the answers I am looking for but if anyone can help or even point in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated.

My mother was diagnosed with cancer at the end of august and it’s been quite a journey. It seems she has quite a tricky type with it initially being diagnosed as ovarian before becoming suspected bowel but now being treated as CUP. This change in diagnosis has left a lot of uncertainty.

Looking for a little clarification regarding what exactly ‘treatable not curable’ actually means. Feeling lost in all the medical language and looking to understand does this mean terminal as there has been no mention of stages since it was originally ovarian and classed as stage 3 at this point.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read or respond. 

• Hi

The terms you mention, treatable, incurable and terminable have evolved in recent years as science has advanced and generally offered more to people with a cancer diagnosis.

curable = treatment options exist to eliminate all cancer from the body

incurable = treatment is aimed at managing the cancer, either by stabilisation, or  by tumour shrinkage but it would still be detectable by whatever method eg scan, blood markers etc. 

Terminal = a chat between consultants and the person with cancer to acknowledge that treatment options are extremely limited and the prognosis is very poor (survival likely to be months).  

Terminology has evolved as 30 years ago a cancer diagnosis was acknowledgement of the end.  However now-a-days people are diagnosed with cancer but treatment is able to mange it for 10+ years so that's NOT terminal.  

Hope that helps.  I'm incurable but treatable.  Not terminal. 

• Mmum thank you so much for taking the time to explain all that for me. It really helps having it clear to me that she is managing her cancer.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis. 

I was diagnosed with a ‘treatable not curable’ blood cancer over 24 years ago but I see  has explained this well.

A cancer diagnosis like this in the family can be such a challenging and stressful time but getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' cancer type and support challenges can help a lot.

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)….., so if you care to have a look through THIS LIST you will find all our many dedicated cancer support groups listed. It’s important to get the right group as not all cancers react the same way.

These groups are safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from family members who are navigating the same journey.

Have a look through the LIST above and once you find the best group for your mum’s cancer type you can join the group by selecting “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

You can then put up your own post when you’re ready by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

As for the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your mum and indeed yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our 

Carers only 

and

Supporting someone with incurable cancer

support groups where you will connect with others navigating the same support challenges.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

•   unfortunately since my original post, my mum passed away quite shockingly and suddenly this afternoon with me finding her. Very numb, confused and sad right now. Can you recommend any supports for my new circumstances, thanks

• I am so sorry to read this.  What a shock for you.  There is this group here:   Bereaved family and friends forum.   Also the Macmillan support line Mike mentions above.  I've phoned them a couple of times and they really know their stuff.  Even if just for a chat.  I phoned them for help talking to my teenage children and they were able to provide a couple of independent support groups. 

• Oh  I am so so sorry to hear your news…. my sincere condolences to you and your family.

As  highlighted our Bereaved Family and Friends Support Group. will be a good place to get help.

The Macmillan helpline is there to give you support and practical advice.

There is quite a lot of information in What to do after someone dies and many hospitals have bereavement services who may be able to offer support.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Sorry for your loss