petrified

• 7 replies
  • 37 subscribers

hello,

i was diagnosed friday as having tonsil cancer that has gone to my lymph and thyroid, it has taken 4 months to get to the bottom of this and in that time the lump went from golf ball size to double that, i had a full body scan yesterday, i am so terrified as i want to fight this and don't want to die, is there anyone out there who has had the same as myself and been able to have treatment? with success? i will be seeing an oncologist next week and at present am just crying all the time, as i am scared witless they will tell me it is too far gone and just have palliative care, 3 years ago i was my mums carer when she was diagnosed with cancer, so i just have horror flashbacks to what she went through and how she ended up at the end of death, this too is terrifying.

i wish all on here newly diagnosed and those going through cancer and treatment, hope and pockets of happiness where ever they find them

• Hi ichi, so sorry to read this . I have only just joined this group. I have been the main carer for my wife Rosalind who was diagnosed with a stage 4 lung cancer which had spread to her lymph and brain. She has been on a targetted treatment for four years and although little energy these years have been precious. You must hope that the advanced treatments in cancer will help you too .  

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in some of our dedicated support group as these groups are safe places to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this links >

Head and neck cancer

Lymph nodes, secondary cancer

Thyroid cancer

then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

When you are ready you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi  and a warm welcome to you.

When it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your wife and indeed yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our 

Carers only 

Supporting someone with incurable cancer

support groups where you will connect with others navigating the exact same support challenges.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• hello chris,

i do hope you are getting yourself some support whilst looking after your wife, as a person who cared for my mum who had cancer, i know the emotional toll it can have, not the actual looking after them, but the uselessness you can often feel, because  you are unable to swoop in and cure them, i think it might help at some point if you look in to forums or support groups, if you think it would help that is, i would say having a loving and caring partner at her side has probably made all the difference for your wife and i wish you both pockets of happiness and moments to make you smile

• thank you highlander, i do find it weird, how one day you feel part of society moving through the flow, then you are diagnosed and you are no longer part of that group, as they have the luxury of planning ahead and bit more of  a certain future, where as the cancer people, have one day at a time, but thank you for your advise i shall check out the forums and hopefully learn some insider tricks being a newbie

• I have been on my incurable blood cancer journey for over 24 years now and just get on and live one day at a time and always celebrate seeing the sunrise and indeed the sunset…… 

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• i like your optimism and positive spirit, life must seem so much sweeter to you knowing you have to make everyday count and enjoy all those little moments, i hope it doesn't impede you too much in getting enjoyment from life