Reversal (or not) Timeline

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

Hello to everyone!

I had a LAR (no rectum left) with an Ileostomy in April followed by some Chemo. Luckily I had a good outcome with no spread and I had expected a reversal soon after but with all the NHS delays etc it never happened.

It will end up being >10 months when (if) I have the reversal and I am just wondering if the combination of the delay and the lack of rectum will put me in the Major LARS category?

I managed through the Chemo and the Stoma OK, but with this decision I have come to the group as I am at a loss.

What I have read so far from all the wonderful people who have posted, seems to be that regardless of the delay to reversal and the type of resection that you have had for the cancer treatment, the outcome seems to be very random but with most people suggesting that after some time – could be up to 18months – the reversal is a good option. If all goes badly wrong, you can always revert to a Stoma again.

I will speak to my surgeon again (tomorrow) but I am also looking for any other inputs.

As noted by some people on the site, you learn to live with your Stoma as I have done, and the idea of another ‘Journey’ can be a little daunting.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be very much appreciated.

All the best to all of you!

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated

Ileostomy, colostomy and stoma support (That I do see you have joined)

and

Stoma reversal and Low Anterior Resection Syndrome (LARS)

….. as these groups are safe places to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

Click on the Links I have put up above then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge