Introducing myself

• 6 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi everyone. I have recently been diagnosed with head and neck cancer, just had surgery for tonsillectomy and neck dissection and seeing oncology in weeks time. 

just want to say it’s all very daunting and must admit I cry when I have to discuss it with anyone but I’m trying my best to overcome that. 

everyone stay safe and well xxxx

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated Head and Neck support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link > Head and neck cancer then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

When you are ready you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi there, I spoke to my ENT consultant yesterday and I have stage 1 hpv + cancer right tonsil, no spread. They have offered me the pathos trial which is surgery and neck dissection initially - just wondered if you were on a trial? How are you getting on after surgery? Many thanks, Jacky

• Hi  

I see you've joined the Head and Neck cancer group ( Thank you Mike  )

I'm Dani.

I'm a five year survivor and doing very well.

I hang out in the group. We are a friendly bunch and there always somebody there to chat to. Pop over there and introduce yourself. Hope you're coping well with the surgery. Having tonsils out as an adult is pretty awful. Fingers crossed that's all you will need

Best wishes

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Jacky. Yes I’m on the pathos trial. Surgery was ok in hospital for 4 days and everyone I have to say were lovely. I start 6 weeks of radiotherapy for 5 days each week on Monday. I had tonsil removed and neck dissection and once you are over the op you will be fine. I just feel like I used to feel before I was diagnosed . Hope all goes well for you with the surgery and you have a speedy recovery xx 

• Hi  

If you have time could you put a short history in your profile? ( in fact it would be jolly useful if everyone did) The Pathos trial comes up frequently and it would ease the search no end. It also stops you repeating yourself and lets people know where you are along the road without having to search your posts. 
    Stay with us. 

RT isn’t easy but it’s doable and there is a lot of help here 

Have you had biopsy results back from your operation? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Many thanks for your reply. Just wondered what your staging was before surgery? They are hoping just to do the surgery on me but won't know until they do the op and then lab tests etc.

So glad to hear you are doing well. How has the scarring been on your neck/shoulder pain etc. Thanks for now.x