All of this is new!

• 1 reply
  • 37 subscribers

Hi

My dad has been diagnosed with primary liver cancer. They have said it is a rare form (I don’t have a name) and he is to start immunotherapy. It is incurable and treatment is to only to add months to his life. He currently has no symptoms and seems fine but I reckon he is hiding his feelings.  

I have been very fortunate that I have never ever been on this journey before of cancer or grief/loss. So I am blindsided. I am very weepy and my eyes leak randomly. I am trying to support my mum and my anxious daughter who is distraught. My husband and son seem in a much better place. Can anyone give some top tips and advice on what I can expect on this journey and how I can support my dad, family and cope myself. I feel I am grieving even though he is still alive. 

Thank you 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your dad has been diagnosed with incurable liver cancer and it's natural for you to be feeling as you do.

As you know, the online community is divided into different support forums and I can see that you've already joined and posted in a couple of them. You might also like to consider joining the supporting someone with incurable cancer forum as you'll then connect directly with others who are supporting people with an incurable diagnosis along with their family.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your dad's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"