Going on holiday during immunotherapy

• 7 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hello. I am starting immunotherapy for Endometrial cancer on Tuesday. I feel very trapped by it all as they are saying side effects are unpredictable as to when they happen and whether mild or worse. I'd love to make plans at some point to go away.

Has anyone gone abroad during immunotherapy and how were the potential for side effects managed? Or if not a UK break, and how was that managed?

It's a special wedding anniversary in June and feel upset for us we can't make plans for a special trip away.

Thank you. 

• Hi - I am going abroad in March and I've been on immunotherapy for 2 years with no symptoms that impact how I function on daily basis.   As long as your oncologist is ok with it, the next steps would be to find travel insurance.  Mine needed me to check some bloods were above thresholds.  If it clashes with a treatment date then oncology may be able to adjust the schedule.   My insurance asked questions like the side effects I was experiencing and the results from CT scans (eg bigger/smaller/stay same/only had one scan).  

My experience of immunotherapy side effects are that I've had the rare ones that aren't even on the patient leaflet.  Also it's quite consistent!  

• Thank you. That's good to hear. Are you taking any extra meds with you? 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Having a holiday during treatment would be a lovely thing to do but it's natural to wonder if this might be possible or not.

I can see that you've already found and joined the womb cancer forum and this would be a good place to ask your questions as you'll then connect directly with others who have this type of cancer and who can tell you about their side effects.

You might also like to join the travel insurance forum as this will give you the opportunity to take a look at which travel insurance companies others have recommended for reasonably priced travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis. Clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there if this is something that you'd like to do. I'd certainly recommend getting quotes to find out how much it might cost before you book your holiday.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Are you taking any extra meds with you? 

Oh! I hadn't thought about it! I've got a cream I'm using every 2-3 days so if that remains the same I'll take that.  Going for 4 nights. 

• Hiya, sorry to jump on this post, I’m new to here so just learning my way around. My mom has had 3 rounds of immunotherapy so far, we have her results tomorrow from her latest CT scan. How do you find the immunotherapy ? We are praying for no more bad news, I’m just hoping to read some positive immunotherapy stories x 

• Hi. It's only the day after the first immunotherapy so too early to say yet. But just make sure you write everything thing down, as it's so easy to forget what the Dr says, and get some questions ready too.  
    • Thankyou so much for replying! My mom has taken to it well so far and is coping with the side effects, tomorrow we find out if it’s working. We have some questions ready to ask, just hoping and praying we have some positive news! Hope your okay, sending you lots of love x