Recently diagnosed with Breast cancer and I'm so scared

• 6 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hello all, my name is Sarah im 42 and have three children (25,22 and 8) and I was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 weeks ago. I'm totally deversated and I'm so scared to read all the leftlets they have given me at the hospital. All I think about is the worst things happening to me. 

• Hi sarahjane, really sorry you find yourself here , but its the best place to talk about all the things that need to be  addressed. Whatever you do do not google anything its all outdated and it will scare you unnecessarliy. Its probably best to start with the leaflets that you got from the hospital. Its all so new at the moment so give yourdelf time to digest it all. When you get a treatment plan and have spoken to the team that are in charge of your treatment you will feel more in control. Its the unknown that scares us.There are plenty of treatments out there for all types of cancer. I was first diagnosed with breast cancer 20 years ago and secondary 4 years ago and i am still here and plan to be for some time.It will seem like the end of the world right now but its not stay posative and still make plans. I found it best to keep my family informed along the way so there are no surprises, i can see your 2 eldest are 25 and 22 so they will understand whats going on, but for he 8 year old thats a different situation and maybe you could search for some help as how to discuss it with that child. My child was 12 and wanted to know the truth they are all different. I hope this helps in a small way. I wish you all the best in your future treatment. Dawn x

• Hi  and another welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you've recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and it's natural to be scared. I was diagnosed in April 2022 and had a lumpectomy followed by chemotherapy and radiotherapy. All this treatment finished in January 2023 and life has got back to pretty much normal since.

I can see that you've already found and joined the breast cancer forum which is a great place to connect directly with others who have breast cancer to ask questions, share experiences and get support.

Once you feel ready to post there you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and proposed treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Anne x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello   A warm welcome to the online Community - I see you have had a cracking welcome and some great information from  and you are also member of the Breast Cancer Community.

I hope you don't mind me popping by to tell you we also have another Community you may want to join and the link is below:

Breast cancer for the under-50s forum 

Just click on the link I have provided and when the page opens up just click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page and you can introduce yourself.

Remember it's our Community and YOU are a member so if we can help - just let us know.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thankyou Dawn, I have explained to him that I'm gonna be abit tired for a while and have something growing in my that needs taken out. I've not used the word Cancer with him as I don't want to frighten him. In fact it's my 22 year old that seems to be finding it hard, im trying to be strong around him and I think he is getting there. 

Google im staying well clear of that. 

Hope you are well xx

• Thankyou Anne, I think I've managed to update my profile bow with more information about my diagnosis xxx

• Thankyou, yes I've joined that community now xxx