Cancer and agitation and anger

• 2 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi I'm new to the group, I am currently  helping to care for my dad who has colorectal  cancer .He had an operation  in October  to take away some of the cancer and had an ileostomy  bag fitted .Unfortunately  he had an infection  in his drain site from the operation  he was under the care of OPAT who have given  him regular  antibiotics both IV and oral .Unfortunately  the access he had seems  to be returning. To say my dad has been a reluctant patient is an understatement. He was initially  to week for chemotherapy  but was offered adjuvant  chemotherapy  recently  but refused  it .He has also said he doesn't  want any more treatment  full stop .Whilst I understand  this in the last week he has become very combative ,angry and agitated which isn't really  like although  he's exceptionally  stubborn. My question  is  is this normal behaviour  for someone  in his situation?The surgeon  gave a timeline of a year at best .My das is 78 years old. 

• Hi Rog20 and welcome to the forum, though i am so sorry to hear about your dad. As someone else who has terminal cancer i can understand your dads behaviour, to be told you have an incurable cancer is a big shock emotionally and major surgery even if it goes well takes more out of older people and takes longer to recover, and your dads operation is not going as well as hoped so his recent experience of treatment is not a happy one and he may feel weak and uncomfortable from his condition and surgery. Regarding adjuvant  chemotherapy which can cause side effects which your dad will have been told about so he is probably, like many of us will, be asking himself if any benefit from treatment is going to be worth the cost. I know you love your dad but you have to respect his wishes and he will calm down,  then maybe he may reconsider treatment. take care 

Eddie

• Hello   A warm welcome to the Online Cancer Community. I am aware this is a tough time for you and your family. 

The Community is divided up into forums or "chat rooms" which are cancer specific and I would advise at this time to join the following groups where you will fin support from people on the same or similar journey as your dad:

Hereditary non-polyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC or Lynch syndrome) forum 

Supporting someone with incurable cancer forum 

To join these groups, just click on the links I have provided and once the page opens up , click on "join" on the black banner at the bottom of the page. Once you have joined that forum, you can introduce yourself by clicking on the +new and either copying and pasting your original post or re- posting the post.

It may well be a good idea to contact our support line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week) as they will be able to offer that extra support you will need at this time.

I hope the above helps and wish you well - if I can do anything else for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.