Brother and sister with bowel cancer

• 13 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I have been supporting my brother and sister who were both diagnosed with bowel cancer within weeks of each other in 2022.  They have both had major surgery and chemo and both came through that and were at the routine scans so we thought they were through the worst.  Sadly my sister has just been given bad news regarding her last scan and we are all devastated.  I have reached out on here as I know I need to find the strength to support her again.

• Your are taking on so much and trying to be strong. But you need let it out be it here or elsewhere. 

Don't feel guilty, why do you feel this way if you don't mind me asking?

Regarding your nephew, have you had any interaction relating to this? Any idea how he is feeling?

• Just human nature I suppose.  I can do things without thinking whether I would be well enough to do them.  For example take the dog for a walk, be able to eat without being sick you get my meaning.

I am close to my nephew as I am his "favourite" Auntie and he has always looked up to and spent time with my own son who is a few years older.  It doesn't help that his parents have recently divorced and now this.  He is understandably angry and upset I tend to just listen and let him say what he feels.

• Yea I get that, but try and put guilt out of your mind, it's not your fault in any way and you have enough emotions to deal with ;-)

It sounds like you are doing a great job with your nephew. Sometimes it's just best to listen without trying to solve the problem. At least for now. In my opinion anyway. 

It probably adds to your stress but like I've said, if you don't have an outlet then use us. I certainly do and with such supportive folks on here I'm sure it will help. You don't have to take this on all on your own. 

And think about this, you are also helping me, understand how the people around me are feeling so you are helping me and others just by sharing how you feel.