I don’t know what to do

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hey, 

I am new to all of this and I’m not even sure what answers I’m trying to look for. Maybe I just need to write? Who knows…

My beloved grandad was transferred to Hospice for end of life 5 days ago. He has Secondary liver cancer, mets to bone and lymph nodes. He has stopped eating, and is very tired. Completely lost his mobility and is hallucinating daily. He seems to enjoy the hallucinations so I don’t push back on them. Who am I to burst his bubble.

I’ve spoken with the consultant at the hospice and she has informed me that unfortunately it’s just a matter of time until he passes. I’m terrified. I’m constantly reading about end of life signs, what to do, how to help our loved ones but i’m just so scared. I am so lucky to be able to visit him every day, multiple times a day.

I haven’t really asked any questions, I guess I’m just looking for guidance 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your granddad has been transferred to a hospice and I can understand your worries.

The online community is divided into different support forums so I'm going to recommend that you join the supporting someone with incurable cancer forum as you'll then connect directly with other people who have a loved one with a terminal diagnosis, to discuss your feelings as well as practical issues about palliative care and end of life.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

If you have any problems negotiating the community please drop me a line and I'll do my best to help.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"