Supporting my

• 2 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi just looking for some advice/help to be pointed in the right direction. My brothers wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer and has had the operation. Lymph node results back and now going for a full scan then chemo/radiotherapy. I am trying to support both of them but with his wife having a lot of support with friends/family I want to give the same to him as I’m sure he is in turmoil. He would be quiet, reserved and tries to sort things out himself but want to do what I can? Anything at all would be helpful if anyone in same predicament. I want to help but also don’t want to intrude 

• Hi  

Welcome to our community though always a little sorry to see anyone join our very special family.

You are so right that cancer has a habit of getting to everyone and it might help you to look at your feelings when someone has cancer as that might be helpful in understanding how both your brother and you might be feeling. 

You might like to look in to our Family and friends forum  where you will find people in a similar situation. One problem I found in myself was the classic of not taking care of myself until I came close to burning out and then I found our local Maggies centre.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Anything at all would be helpful if anyone in same predicament. I want to help but also don’t want to intrude 

I haven't had the same cancer as your wife but I know that with mine I needed a lot of care and I know how carers can be invisible to the professionals. It's al about the patient. Your brother sounds a well organised kind of chap so maybe one of the most helpful things you could do is to get him out for a day, once a week. Just chew the fat and have some time away from clinical things. I talk a lot about this with carers and once they get over the imaginary "hump" of abandoning their care it's a hugely revitalising and intimate event. Would your brother be able to think of himself and give himself some space in this way?

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge