Hi. How to access counselling?

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

Hello. I'm new and  I think I need a little help as I feel I may have reached capacity with my emotional load. I think maybe I need to talk to someone. I know there are lots of options, but feel a little overwhelmed knowing where to start. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm 46 and  currently waiting for my WLE following confirmation of stage 1a melanoma after biopsy at end of November. I feel rather like a sitting duck with melanoma as I have hundreds of atypical moles, but I'll save cancer specific questions for the melanoma group.

My mum died in May, 6 weeks after a diagnosis of both pancreatic and ovarian cancer. I was living partly with her (100 miles from my home) and partly at home to care for her, while also working and  seeing my family. It was a brutal experience, but her final few days were at a wonderful macmillian hospice. They said I could have access to counselling, but I don't know how to access this. 

I'm finding the process of dealing with my mum's affairs while waiting for my WLE very challenging.

I have lost many family and friends early to various cancer, I won't list them all as it becomes unhelpful.

I have many other stress factors at the moment and I think I've been close to burnout with my job, which can be very challenging , but sadly not very well paid. We have fabulous teenage kids, the eldest is in her GCSE year. I am concerned about keeping a stable environment for them, but also worried about their melanoma risk. 

My husband has been and continues to be amazing and I am so lucky to have him. I feel I am holding on tight to him through this storm, but I feel I need some professional help as I am wary of my husband's mental health too. He has been out of work for 10 months, his Dad has recently been successfully treated for melanoma and he lost his mum nearly 5 years ago to bile duct cancer. 

I am incredibly lucky to have caught my cancer at an early stage, my mother's affairs are falling into place and probate has been granted. I have a very loving and supportive husband, wonderful kids, great colleagues and many friends. I am trying to use the headspace app, which is comforting even though my mind still races. But ever so often I just feel like my mind is melting, I feel panic & overwhelm and embarrassed that I'm not being stronger.

Right, I'll try and do something constructive now I've got that little lot off my chest! 

Thank you. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your diagnoses.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support and as you see the Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms)….. and I do see that you have already joined our dedicated Melanoma support group. This is a safe place to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.

To connect in with the group click on this link> Melanoma then once the group page opens you can introduce yourself by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

As for accessing counselling you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge