Here we go again

• 1 reply
  • 37 subscribers

Hello

Following a fast decline from fatigued but fine my dad was diagnosed with an incurable,  untreatable GBM brain tumour on NYE. It bled and he has significant weakness on left side. He is my mums carer, she has dementia. Our daughter was diagnosed with a different brain tumour in 2019 and had all her operations and treatment through covid times.

My mind has exploded with the enormity of our situation.  I literally don't know what to do. Dad wants to go home, mum doesn't want him there. We are trying to organise a package of care but they are not agreeing on how much in enough. No idea how long that will take. No idea how long he really has.  They are saying less than 3 months but that's a really long time in terms of me trying to be there to support them and my own family. 

I have gone off sick atm but my last employer used covid to make redundant when I was looking after my daughter so I am worried I will.lose my job. I am very worried about the impact on my daughter  in terms of her ptsd with this particular diagnosis in her only grandad. 

I don't know how we are going to manage my mum,  now or later.

Ithink I am.hoping for practical advice on caring for him at home. Unless anyone can take the fear and horror of it all away.

• Hi , I am so sorry to read about the challenges you are dealing with.

As you know the Community is divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) and I see that you have already joined our Carers only and Supporting someone with incurable cancer support groups.

These groups are the best place to connect with others navigating the exact same support challenges.

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct folks to the best part of the Community to get support so you may well not get the reply’s you are needing.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge