Travelling

• 7 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi everyone, I’m new to this online group community.

First, Happy New Year to you all!

I would like to have a question regarding travelling. I’m finding it difficult to get travel insurance, as long as I tell the insurance company that I have cancer they don’t want to cover me for my travels. Can someone recommend me a company that would insure me without an extremely high premium? Can I get insurance just for one travel? Any specific company who would insure with special circumstances like having cancer? Many thanks in advance

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis so can I recommend that you join us over in the travel insurance group where you'll find recommendations from others who have been successful. Once you've joined look for the thread called 'recommended travel insurance' as this is where the majority of recommendations are.

Most people say that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also, sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Personally I've used goodtogoinsurance.com and payingtoomuch.com and found that they were able to cover my cancer diagnoses.

I hope this helps

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you latchbrook for your quick reply. It helps me to get a better understanding of what and how to do regarding this situation.
    It is quite sad, once we’ve got a cancer diagnosis nobody cares about us anymore, nevertheless to dealing with the diagnosis itself is difficult enough.

Thank you again.

• That's really sad to read that you feel nobody cares about you since you've had a cancer diagnosis. You might find this information from Macmillan on getting help with your emotions useful to have a look through. It gives information on how and where you can get support.

The online community is divided into different support forums where you can also access support. You haven't said what type of cancer you have so you can either let me know, and I can then give you a direct link to the forum, or you can look through this list to find the appropriate one.

Once you've joined a forum, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Anne

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Anne,

I have been diagnosed with breast cancer with metastatic liver in 2021. I’ve completed my chemo and radiotherapy. Last summer I was diagnosed with brain lesion and also completed my treatment for that. The past couple of years was extremely difficult for me and my husband. Trying to adapt to our “new normal life”. Not easy, especially the ongoing treatments and investigations. I was keep trying to find help for both of us and keep ourselves going, as I’m the “positive person” in our relationship, but it’s not always easy without help. 
    Today is probably one of my emotionally low day, as I’ve just got rejected by my own travel agency. I will feel better I just need some time to put my thoughts together.

Thank you for trying to help. I was keep refusing to join a cancer group, continuously denying that I need support, but maybe it was a good decision of me joining today.

• The great thing about the online community is that you can use it as much or as little as you want, or need to.

We have an active secondary breast cancer forum, where you can talk to others about treatments, etc, and a very active living with incurable cancer forum, who talk about absolutely anything and everything!

If you feel like joining either of these, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there. If you don't want to join you could just have a little nosey in the forums to see what you think.

Anne x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Anne,

Thank you for your kind words today. I was very selfish not even asking about you. I am sorry, I think I was too busy feeling sorry for myself.

I read your profile. You’ve been through an awful lot in the past years and you still sound very positive. How you’ve been doing recently?
    When did you join this community? Did you find it helpful talking to people with similar experiences?

I was reading about people’s stories and it’s just making me so sad and I get very emotional.

Its very different talking to people who are actually dealing with same issues as me. I do talk to my colleagues about what’s happening to me but on a different level as we are all nurses.

I’ve never thought about it all those years, looking after sick people, that one day I will be going through the same. It still seems surreal and so much. 
    Elina x

• Hi Elina

There's no need to apologise. We all have 'stuff' going on and sometimes it's difficult to focus on anything else.

I'm doing well, thank you. I finished my radiotherapy for breast cancer a year ago and now have annual mammograms along with twice yearly infusions of a drug called Zometa. The latter is to strengthen by bones and to help prevent the cancer returning in my bones. I'll be having that for 5 years and have just come to the end of year one.

I didn't actually join the community until I'd finished my treatment for melanoma 7 years ago. I was just 'googling', looking for information on the treatment I'd had and the type of cancer, when I came across the Macmillan online community and joined. Up to that point I'd always thought, wrongly as it turns out, that Macmillan were only there for people with incurable diagnoses and didn't realise that they're here for everyone.

I've found it great to be able to talk to other people about how I feel and ask questions about treatment and know that they understand how I feel. Health professionals can answer your questions about treatment, prognosis, etc but they don't know what it's like to have cancer or what side effects you might have, unless they've walked the walk too. No criticism intended, as I see you're a nurse, but it's just the way it is.

I do hope you can get support here too.

Anne 

sending virtual (((hugs)))

Community Champion Badge