Feeling guilty

• 9 replies
  • 40 subscribers

My mum has been recently diagnosed with cancer and, because of the spread and her age, there is nothing they can do for her. I feel guilty because I have been busy working over the years and not visited as often as I should. My brother and sister are much closer to her then I am, not that that worries me. 

My sister is living with her at the moment while she reaches her end. My brother visits a lot but I'm working all sorts of hours and places. I call in when I can. She has carers calling 4 times a day and now has lots of pain relief sorted to help her rest properly. It's been so quick and near the end so quickly I'm struggling. I do look at it pragmatically as we all have to go. She is so thin. 

Anyway thanks for letting me waffle. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is a supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your mum has been diagnosed with incurable cancer and I can only begin to imagine how hard this must be for the whole family.

Feeling guilty is quite common and it might help you to have a look at Macmillan's information on your feelings when someone has cancer.

The online community is divided into different support forums so I'm going to recommend that you join the supporting someone with incurable cancer forum which is for anyone who has someone with an incurable diagnosis to discuss their emotions and give and receive support.

To join, just click on the link I've created and, once you've joined, you can start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

If you have any problems negotiating the community just reply to me and I'll be pleased to help if I can.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello YorkieNell64 and welcome, I lost my mum, who, i loved and was my best friend, to terminal cancer, and because i was between jobs at the time i became mums primary carer, there was no outside care services back then, i had two brothers both working silly hours, with families, but local-ish, I understood it was the right thing for me to care for mum and it was never an issue for me that care was left to me and my brothers carried on working. Like you they would pop in when they could, which gave me a little time for myself, but i always knew if i needed help i would get it, what matters is your mum is being well cared for and her three children love her, take care, Eddie

• Thanks Eddie. Just a bit lost that's all. I'm the only married one and only one with kids. Yes mum is being well looked after and district nurses are on call to help with pain meds whenever they are needed. Palliative care team have been actioned this evening too. 

• your very welcome, you have a waffle or cry anytime, it's better than bottling things up, take care, Eddie

• Mum is now on Morphine for pain and we don't think it will be long. 

• a peaceful end with her family with her, take care Eddie

• Mum passed yesterday afternoon. She waited til my sister went to the shop to go. Happens often. Anyway she is now out of pain and at rest. Thanks for your support. 

• I am so sorry for your family's loss and if i helped in any way you are very welcome, please take care. Eddie