Terrified about my babies losing me

• 4 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi all , 

I have just had a 2ww referral for a large lump in my gluteal region. This was only yesterday and so I've not had the date for my scans through yet never mind had the actual scans themselves.... But I'm terrified.

Normally I'm a very logical calm person who doesn't worry about things until it's time to worry and I'm the voice of reason to everyone I know ...but I've got a young family , a 2 year old and an 11month old and I cannot stop worrying about it ( / sobbing uncontrollably )and leaving them behind !!!  I'm trying to keep myself busy but I cannot get the what ifs out of my mind.

Any tips on how to get through the waiting period ??

From an apparently not so calm and rational mum

• Sorry to hear this G30rg1na

The waiting period is the worst. Try distract yourself by whatever means works - the little ones, TV, box sets, hobbies. It’s not easy. Tell yourself it’s going to be OK and there’s nothing you can do about it anyway so no point in worrying. Try stay positive. Wishing you the best for those results. Xx

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community but so sorry to see you joining us.….. first a big ((hug))….. and then you take a big breath…. and another. 

Navigating the diagnoses rollercoasters can be such a stressful and challenging time but at the moment you are basically a passenger and in the hands of the NHS system.

Like myself many years ago and over my 24+ years since I received my rare incurable but treatable cancer diagnosis I had many times when the Christmas/New Year holidays slowed everything down……. but let’s look for this appointment to come soon….. if you don’t hear anything once 3+ weeks are up do get on the phone and chase things up just to ensure that you have not dropped through the NHS cracks.

I remember my initial battle between my ears where I was convinced that I would not see my 2 early teenage girls go to university, get married and have children…… but this was not the case and today we have 2 daughters who have very successful business, married and 4 beautiful granddaughters.

It is normal to catastrophise but from my long experience of not only getting a cancer diagnoses many years ago but then to be investigated many times for ‘other’ medical issues that could well have been cancer…… I learned that until I there was actually something serious wrong there was not….. far to simple some people will say….. but as you are a logical person you may ‘get’ this.

If this is a type of cancer then getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' cancer type can help a lot.

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Cancer Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so if you are diagnosed with a type of cancer you can have a look through THIS LIST you will find all our many dedicated cancer support groups listed.

These groups are safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from members who are navigating the same journey.

Your hands are full having a 2 year old and an 11month old but during the times that your mind starts to wonder get a note book and start to put all your systems, symptom triggers, thoughts…….all down in the note book.

Also your top questions you would want to ask a consultant…… doing this helps you prepare for appointments but also helps you sleep as you mind dump the ‘stuff’ that in reality you can’t change until things move on further.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services and during the holidays)

This service is normally open 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 and provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

Di get back to me if you need further help or just want to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Mike , this was really helpful and has definitely helped calm me abit whilst giving me a couple of things I 'can do' instead of sitting about the things I can't!

• Glad to hear that my post helped you in some way to step back from that cliff edge and look to take a measure of control…… you are still standing on firm ground…. turn round and take a few steps away and embrace the ‘good’ that you are surrounded with.

When it comes to scans I have found that there are always cancellations so do keep that in mind once you have a scan date….. you will most likely find that once you do get a date there may well be a number of days….. even weeks before this can be done but call the department and check out for cancellations.

In my early days I kept my note book (I actually have a few going back over my years) beside my bed.

When my mind went into overdrive at silly-o’clock I would dump the thoughts in the front pages of the note book……. but more importantly I would always add a hope or dream to the ongoing list at the back of the note book….. this helped get the positive mind back in place……

I look back at these hopes and dreams pages and I see many ticks against the list and lots more to do in the future ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge