Daughter of terminal ill mom

• 10 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Oh where do I even start just over three weeks ago we recieved a call to say mom had got bowel cancer and possible secondary in the liver all of which has now been confirmed then 10 days ago we recieved the news it’s in her back and bones and there’s no treatment I feel angry mad sad and feel like we has this news dropped on us then very little support my mom hasn’t got upset much but I get upset when I think about what lies ahead for her and our family I’m reaching out for support and help I feel like my mom is getting worse but then I’m not sure just want some help 

• Hi I'm so sorry about you're mum, I feel like you my mum is in the same situation stage 4 bowel cancer. There saying no treatment can be given as she's not well enough. I feel like professionals are giving up to easy, I feel very angry.

• So sorry about your mom are you getting any support ie gp etc and how’s your mom Coping with the diagnosis as I’m not sure about my mom 

• I am from family and friends, I think deep down my mum knows.i can't sleep as just want my mum back. They have placed my mum in a hospice in palliative care  bo further treatment. I can't except it she's only 67 xx

• Hey I know that feeling my mom is 65 years old I feel cheated that she won’t see her grandchildren grow up cheated that there’s no treatment and I worry about mom being at home and coping with what’s around the corner I just hope to god when her time comes she’s on the right pain relief etc or in a hospice that can help mom 

this journey feels lonely 

• Gosh there nearly the same age, yeah I feel the same about mum not seeing her grandchildren finish the first year of school.

I never knew my mums cancer was incurable, she never told me.

It's tough everything feels so ugly and unfair and cruel x

• Hi there. This is what I'm worried might happen to my dad. He has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer that has now gone into his bones. Because of his age (80), they won't operate. He has an appointment at the end of January to see if they'll give him any radiotherapy, but I'm not sure they will. 

• Hi  and welcome to the Macmillan Community but so sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis.

A cancer diagnosis like this in the family can be such a challenging and stressful time but getting support from others who are dealing with the ‘exact same' support challenges can help a lot.

The New to Community is like our reception desk where we look to direct you to the best part of the Community for you to get support. The Community is divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) and when it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your mum you may benefit from joining and posting in our Supporting someone with incurable cancer support groups where you will connect with others navigating the exact same support challenges.

To connect with a group click on the “Bold Italic Link” I have created above then once the group page opens click on “Click to Join” when the black banner appears or “Join” under “Group Tools” (this all depends on the device you are using)

You can then put up your own post when you’re ready by clicking “+new” or “+” in the top right next to the group title. You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

It is an emotional time supporting family so you might find this Macmillan information your feelings when someone has cancer helpful as well as this link getting help with your emotions.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

I have given you a lot of channels to get supporter, but do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Sorry to hear about your dad hopefully they might give him radiotherapy to help him and there might be treatment look after yourself and your dad 

• Sorry hear about your mum, my mum is the same age 67 in a hospice with bowel cancer that spread to the bones. I think not enough is done, they said no more treatment with my mum too. 

My mums not eating and drinking, so awful to see muscles just fading. To not give my mum a iv fluid I just think is so cruel.