Gene testing

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

Hi Im new here and need advice. My nan, grandad 2 uncles a brother and a sister have all passed from different kinds of cancers and my cousin and nephew have both survived different cancees. Can I have a gene test done amd how would I go about it. The types of cancers so far have been....lung cancer, testicular cancer in 2 family members, stomach cancer, prostrate cancer leukemia, carvical cancer and brain cancer. Any advive will be greatfully appreciated many thanks 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about the journey your family have been on and I can understand why you are looking into gene testing.

I am no expert but I do know that some tests are available that cover some cancers but some like my Lymphoma is just the unfortunate luck of the draw.

You could use the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply…… but as it is Christmas and New Year time these services will be on slightly different opening hours.

I do hope you can find what you want to help settle your mind ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge